Civil Service completed a Junior 4 double over Down seconds at Stormont last weekend.

The Belfast outfit defeated Johnny Lennon's side earlier in the season and while the locals were seeking revenge, they put in a poor display which has dented their promotion aspirations.

Down lacked bite and pace in the middle of the park and were weak when it mattered most in front of goal. The locals welcomed back Willie Price at the heart of the defence and apart from their goals, Civil Service rarely threatened to score a stack of goals.

The visitors forced 10 short corners over the 70 minutes and Lennon and Trevor McClurg were both unlucky not to score from several well-worked set-piece moves.

Civil Service effectively killed the game in the closing 10 minutes of the first half when they scored similar goals. They broke down attacks by the visitors which allowed the home side to race towards Johnny Briggs and slip the ball past him as he advanced from his goal.

The first goal came in the 25th minute, while the second came five minutes before the break.

After the interval Down kept plugging away with the experienced Colin Gibson trying to inject impetus and energy in the middle of the park.

But despite some early pressure and forcing a number of short corners, Down could not find a way through.

Tempers flared in the closing stages when the Civil Service 'keeper kicked out at James Cunningham and was yellow-carded, which resulted in him missing the last five minutes of the game.

Down were also outraged that the home umpire also yellow-carded Cunningham whom they argued was the innocent party and was kicked because he was chasing a loose ball into the penalty area.

Civil Service sealed the win with just a few minutes remaining when they scored from a breakaway as the locals pushed forward in a bid to salvage something from the game.

This Saturday, Down seconds entertain Raphoe fourths at Malone Park and will be hoping to defeat them again after winning 2-1 at Royal and Prior earlier in the season.