High-flying Down seconds produced another magnificent performance last Saturday in their quest to land the Junior 6 title.

Stand-in skipper Gary Brown, aided and abetted by the impressive Matthew Lennon, led his side to a superb 4-0 win over Campbellians thirds with a hat-trick from Andy Teggart and a screamer from hot-shot striker Lewis McIntosh.

After a sluggish start against 10-man Campbellians, Down soon got into gear with the young players again showing just how good they are, with some stunning performances.

It appeared during the opening exchanges that it was the visitors who were a man short, but once Down got their noses in front it was always going to be a mammoth ask for Campbellians to get back into the game. The visitors took the lead in the 20th minute when the impressive Brown slipped the ball to McIntosh inside the penalty area and the young striker produced a blistering finish.

Six minutes later, Down led 2-0 when Teggart scored the first of his trio when he produced a smart finish with the home defenders guilty of some poor marking. Teggart and McIntosh both had chances to score again before the break but couldn't make the most of them.

The visitors were so much ion control that 'keeper David Moreland was a virtual spectator and only had one save to make over the 35 minutes.

Skipper Brown urged his players not to slack off in the second period and they responded superbly. The visitors were more impressive, quicker to the ball, tenacious in the tackle and seizing every opportunity to drive forward.

Ryan Swail almost scored the goal of the season within minutes of the restart. Jinking his way into the penalty area he produced an audacious lob which has "goal" written all over it, only for the Campbellians 'keeper to produce a smart save.

Down made it 3-0 in the 47th minute from the second of two short corners awarded in quick succession. Brown and Teggart exchanged passes from the push out with the latter drilling the ball home.

There was no way back for Campbellians, but the visitors didn’t take their foot off the gas. They continued to drive forward and while the home side was back to full strength, Down were dominant.

McIntosh went close from a short corner set piece after being set up by his skipper with the latter going agonisingly close to making it 4-0 from a ferocious short corner effort.

With just under 10 minutes to go, Teggart completed his hat-trick, with the goal coming after good work by William Fryer. His cross into the penalty area picked out Down's striker who produced a great finish.

Moreland remained a spectator at the other end in the second period and now Brown’s players are looking forward to this weekend when they face Portadown thirds away.