Any hopes Down had of securing the runners-up spot in Senior Two evaporated last weekend when they lost a seven-goal thriller to the PSNI.

Down were keen to make up for last week's disappointing defeat at home to Saintfield and they played really well. Only an inspired performance by PSNI 'keeper David Stewart in the second half ensured his side a share of the spoils.

James Erskine and Sinclair White returned to the starting line-up for the visitors and did really well over the 70 minutes. On another day, Down could have secured a draw but it wasn't to be.

The visitors took the lead in the fourth minute to stun the cops. The impressive Adam McKee and Gavin Ringland were involved in the move which led to an outstanding finish from Mark Elliott who dived full length to steer the ball past Stewart for a terrific opener.

The lead lasted just 12 minutes as the PSNI rallied to make it 1-1 when they scored from a short corner with Down 'keeper David Moreland unable to do anything about a well-worked set piece.

The PSNI were enjoying a little more of the possession at this stage and scored again to take a 2-1 lead in the 20th minute.

White and Paul Tate were working hard in the middle of the park before the latter had to leave the pitch in the second half after sustaining a nasty ankle injury which could result in him missing the rest of the season.

The PSNI scored again to lead 3-1 at the break which was a little harsh on Down who played well enough not to be two goals in arrears at this stage of the game.

Chris Taylor scored within four minutes of the restart. White and Taylor combined at the top of the circle following a short corner, slipping the ball to Taylor whose initial shot was saved by Stewart. When the ball rebounded back to Taylor he made no mistake with a rasping finish.

To their credit, Down were playing well at this stage of the game which was largely concentrated in the middle of the park. McKee went close with one effort while Mark Graham should have scored when well placed.

The PSNI's fourth goal came as a result of a comedy of errors. Both Down and PSNI players stopped when they heard a whistle. However, the umpire said he hadn't blown and explained the whistle came from an adjoining pitch. The home team reacted quickest and continued to attack. Seconds later the ball was in the back of Moreland's net.

Worse was to come for the visitors when the PSNI scored to make it 5-2 with just under 10 minutes to go. With Tate off injured at this stage, Down tried to mount a late rally but clawing back three goals was an impossible task.

McKee, White and Erskine were Down's top performers on the day and the locals will be keen to win this weekend's game away to Ballymena.