Down seconds produced a scintillating display to win this tricky Junior 4 clash last weekend.

Missing a number of regulars, the visitors played with spirit and determination to pick a much-needed two points after the previous weekend's defeat at home to Armagh.

With a home game against Instonians this weekend, followed by an away trip to the Lough Moss Leisure Centre to face Annadale fifths on December 9, Willie Price's side is hoping it will have more than enough points in the bag come Christmas to avoid being hauled into the relegation mire.

Philip Brown, who played in goal last weekend, was terrific, particularly in the first half when he produced an important number of stops to keep his side in the game. In the second period Brown, who was beaten by a short corner strike, also kept his composure to ensure his side grabbed both points.

Down were able to call up Mark Elliott to lead the attack and he had a brilliant game, alongside the midfield duo of Colin Gibson and Raymond McClurg who were once again outstanding.

With Paul Neill and Stephen Fitzsimons also causing problems for the Portrush defence, it was always going to be a difficult day for the home side.

Down opened the scoring in the fifth minute when Fitzsimons, who is enjoying one of his best ever starts to the season, got on the end of a sweet move which involved a number of players and some intricate passing.

When the ball was worked to Fitzsimons, he cracked it past the 'keeper for a superb opener and a goal which silenced the home supporters.

Ten minutes later, Down doubled their advantage when Elliott scored the first of his brace on the day. McClurg and Gibson started the move which led to Chris Lennon picking out Down's striker who gave the 'keeper no chance with a crisp finish.

At the other end, Brown made a number of timely saves as Portrush tried to reduce the deficit before the half-time whistle.

Play was congested in the middle of the park for long periods of the second half and when Portrush did break forward, they came up against a resolute Down defence of skipper Price, James Erskine and Johnny Lennon.

Portrush made it 2-1 in the 50th minute, but any hopes they had of nicking another goal to get back on level terms were dashed by Elliott.

With 10 minutes to go, Neill, Gibson and McClurg were all involved in another great move which sent Fitzsimons scampering away towards goal. He looked up and picked out Elliott who scored a superb team goal.

Portrush huffed and puffed in the closing stages, but Down held on for the win which takes them to 13 points for the season so far.