The script had been written and Bangor seconds were odds-on favourites to record an emphatic victory over Down.

But the Malone Park boys got a glimpse of how the tie was supposed to end; made a few changes here and there, which ended with the visitors scraping into the third round by the narrowest of margins.

On paper, the tie between the Junior One side and Down, should have been a no contest and while Bangor led 2-0 at one stage, they didn't have things all their own way.

And if the locals had scored just a fraction of the chances they created, particularly during the second half, they would have produced a shock result at Donard Park.

Down, who went into the game without Aaron Minnis, Alasdair Duff, Ashley Gibson, and Mark Elliott, who arrived late played well.

Bangor scored first with a scrappy goal after the home defence failed to clear the ball and a forward was allowed too much time to pick his spot past Mark Johnston.

The home side were keen to give a good account of themselves in a competition they have only won just once and that was back in the 1940s.

Bangor, who are one of the top sides in Junior One, doubled their advantage in the 20th minute when Down skipper, Jeremy McCready and Gavin Ringland needlessly lost possession, allowing the visitors to make it 2-0.

The home side were restricted to just a few scoring chances during the opening 35 minutes with Paul Tate going close with one short corner effort.

Johnston made a number of routine saves at the other end and while Down went in at the break two goals in arrears, they were confident of turning things around in the second half.

Chris Taylor, who was playing up front alongside James Cunningham, pulled a goal back with a scintillating shot from a short corner which gave the 'keeper no chance.

Ten minutes later, Taylor was at again. This time he showed his true class after forcing his way into the penalty area and delicately flicking the ball over the head of the 'keeper into the net.

Down were very much on top at this stage and created a number of other scoring opportunities. Taylor almost completed his hat-trick while Tate again went close with another powerful shot.

With two minutes to go, Bangor scored a fortuitous winner when some slacking marking in the Down defence allowed a forward to score and book his side a place in the third round draw.

This weekend, Down aim to continue their bid for the Senior Two title at home to East Antrim and while they will have to be at their best, it's a game that shouldn't pose them any problems.