Wins just keep on coming for Down seconds.

Willie Price's side overcame a very useful Annadale outfit at the Lough Moss Leisure Centre last Saturday in a match which takes the locals into a top four position.

Having already defeated Annadale 2-1 earlier in the season, Down knew the away tie would be a much tougher proposition and so it proved to be.

The home side started brightly and created a few early chances. James Cranston's short corner strike was saved and then Michael Brown's lofted effort was palmed away by the 'keeper.

As the half progressed, Down grew in confidence, with Mark Elliott pulling the strings in the middle of the park, alongside the outstanding James Cunningham.

The visitors were missing Colin Gibson and Raymond McClurg, but they overcame that hurdle and played some entertaining hockey. Down spread the ball about with confidence, forcing Annadale on to the back foot.

Alan Tormey denied Ashley Gibson who was set up by Philip Brown, with the latter dropping deep to provide cover, both in the middle of the park and just in front of Chris Lennon as Annadale concentrated all their attacks down the left hand side.

On a biting cold afternoon, the visitors warmed up the temperature with a composed display. Adam McKee was causing all sorts of problems before he was struck on the knee by a lifted ball and had to go off. His replacement, Chris Ferguson, never put a foot wrong and seized every opportunity to attack.

Down concentrated a lot of their attacks on the left wing, which forced Annadale dangerman Brown to drop deep to help out his defence which was under severe pressure midway through the first half.

The pressure had to tell and it did. Gibson found himself free on the left hand side of the penalty area and cleverly drew Tormey off his line before slipping the ball between his legs.

The pace on the ball would clearly have taken it over the line, but James Cunningham made sure, even though the ball was on the line at the time. However, he has credited the goal to Gibson.

Annadale forced three short corners towards the end of the half, but Down's defenders stood tall and were able to clear their lines on every occasion.

The expected Annadale onslaught duly arrived when the second half got underway, but Johnny Lennon and Trevor McClurg, who were outstanding at the heart of the defence, soaked up everything thrown at them. At the other end, Gibson again went close, while a brilliant run by Chris Lennon deserved to be finished with a goal.

Annadale made it 1-1 midway through the half when they scored from a needlessly conceded short corner. The push out was switched and while Down's 'keeper got a block on the shot, it rebounded to a home forward who fired it past Stephen Ferguson on the line.

Not content with a point, Down kept plugging away and grabbed the winner with 13 minutes to go. Annadale were caught cold when Elliott took a quick free to Chris Lennon who picked out Cunningham at the back post to score. There wasn't a home defender in site.

In the closing minutes, Annadale threw men forward in a bid to salvage something from the game, but Down held for a hard-warned win and other two points which takes their tally for the season to 17. This weekend, they entertain Portrush seconds at home.