Down seconds have failed to secure the point they needed to win the Junior 4 title outright.

But they could still be involved in a play-off against Bangor fourths to see who goes up as top dogs.

Both teams are locked on 30 points and both have secured automatic promotion, but the Ulster Branch is likely to order a play-off to see who goes into Junior 3 as champions.

Last Saturday, Down were up against a strong Cookstown side and were unhappy with a number of challenges during their last league game of the season which has seen them make winning away from home a healthy habit.

The visitors, who had Philip Brown in goal, started brightly and proved they are no slouches on the synthetic surface, with James Cunningham, Paul Neill, Raymond McClurg and Colin Gibson all playing well in the middle of the park.

In fact, it was Down who took the lead in the 10th minute, stunning the home supporters into silence.

Cunningham picked the ball up midway between the Cookstown penalty area and the halfway line. He got his head down and headed for goal, side-stepping three homes players in the process.

Once inside the penalty area there was only going to be one outcome. He took aim and drilled ball past the 'keeper into the far corner of the net for a deserved opener.

The goal should have provided the platform for the visitors to stamp their authority on the game, but 10 minutes after taking the lead, Down found themselves back on level terms when they conceded a soft goal.

A free hit drilled into the circle allowed a Cookstown forward to lose his marker before drilling the ball past Brown who could do nothing.

Then the home side took the lead for the first time in the game from an almost identical position.

Another free hit drilled into the penalty area was again converted and with Down looking to get back into the game, Cookstown went 3-1 ahead.

At the other end, Cunningham, Gary Brown and Neill all went close.

The visitors were determined to fight their way back into the game in the second period and Johnny Lennon gave them real hope when his screaming short corner shot flew past the 'keeper before he had time to move.

With 20 minutes to go, Down were hopeful of making it 3-3, but it was Cookstown who scored to make it 4-2 in the closing stages when they caught the visitors who were pushing for an equaliser on the break.

Whether a play-off is needed or not, it's been a terrific season for the seconds and well done to the entire squad for a marvellous effort.