Down seconds maintained their unbeaten start at home in Junior 4 with a comfortable win against Mossley fourths.

The locals, who lost Paul Neill, Johnny Lennon and Mark Elliott, before the start of play as a result of cry-offs from the senior side, were always in control and should have won by a more convincing margin.

Mossley, who were promoted last year, boasted a side packed with youth and experience, but they only managed two shots on goal during the entire 70 minutes.

Down almost opened the scoring with their first attack of the game when Philip Brown was unlucky to see a crisply struck shot strike the outside of the backboard before rebounding to safety.

Richard Tarbotton and Gavin Laverty provided the ammunition on the wings, although the latter was forced to drop back and defend in the second period when Mossley threw players forward in a bid to force their way back into the game.

With Colin Gibson and Raymond McClurg pulling the strings in the middle of the park, the home side seized the early initiative.

James Cunningham, who had another outstanding game, opened the scoring in the 14th minute after a surging run from his centre-back position by Trevor McClurg.

He forced his way to the outside of the Mossley penalty area before passing to Cunningham who rifled the ball home with a sweet strike.

Mossley forced one shot on goal minutes later, but they never threatened for the remainder of the half. Stephen Fitzsimons, who was asked to play on the left hand side of the defence, also powered forward at every opportunity and almost created a chance for Brown to make it 2-0.

Fitzsimons took a long corner and his pinpoint pass to the back post was just missed by Brown who had evaded his marker. Laverty then fired over a cross which Cunningham almost got on the end of.

With 10 minutes until the break, Gibson used his guile and experience to score his side's second goal. He ghosted into the penalty area on the right hand side and with everyone expecting a cross, the wily campaigner saw the goalkeeper had left his near post uncovered.

Gibson's mind was made up and from the tightest of angles, whipped the ball into the net for a real opportunist goal.

Down lost their way for a 10-minute spell in the second half, but with Laverty dropping deep, they regained control at the back again.

Down's third goal of the afternoon was text book stuff. Tarbotton took a long corner and his inch-perfect pass picked out Cunningham at the back post who had the simple task of deflecting the ball over the line.

Mossley threw more men forward in the closing stages, but they never looked like scoring. One short corner effort was cleared off the line, but Down were the dominant force throughout.

This week the seconds head to Donegal to face Raphoe fourths in a vital game and they will be hoping for a similar performance to last Saturday's one.