Down seconds' winning run in Junior 3 came to an end at Jordanstown last Saturday when they crashed 4-1 to a PSNI seconds outfit on a particularly slippery surface.

The locals were forced to travel with 10 men and while they played superbly well in the first half, they had to finish the game with just nine players after Cecil Telford sustained a nasty knee injury. The midfielder was bearing down on goal when his feet went from under him on the water-based astro-surface which caused a lot of problems for both teams.

Down were forced to call up Stephen Strain and Richard Tarbotton and they both deserve credit, both for travelling to the game and the effort they put in.

Despite having 10 men, the locals played well in the first half, with Raymond and Trevor McClurg having outstanding games in the middle of the park, while full-backs Stephen Fitzsimons and Clifford Lennon were also magnificent.

Down took the game to their opponents and Philip Brown went close with a half chance before Telford was unlucky to see a ferocious shot rebound off the 'keeper's pads and away to safety.

At the other end, the Down defence coped with everything thrown at it, with the visitor's 'keeper forced to make three saves in quick succession.

Down's enterprise was rewarded in the 18th minute when they scored a deserved opener. James Cunningham, who had to battle all afternoon in the middle of the park, was in the right place at the right time to blast the ball under the 'keeper's body.

The goal spurred the PSNI side into life and they equalised five minutes later. Down failed to clear their lines and when the ball bounced inside the penalty area, an unmarked forward volleyed it into the net. The home side should have held the upper hand, the fact it didn't was due to the work rate of the Down players who, to a man, did everything that was asked of them.

The visitors continued to press in the second period and almost took the lead on two occasions. A terrific drive from Tarbotton struck the post and rebounded to safety, while Cunningham was denied minutes later by a smart save.

Two poor tackles allowed the PSNI to make it 2-1 in the 44th minute. Down's 'keeper made an initial save, but the ball rebounded to a forward who scored, despite a brave attempt by Lennon to keep the ball out. Then came that injury to Telford and with the visitors reduced to nine men there was only going to be one outcome. The PSNI made it 3-1 when again Down were penalised for not clearing their lines while the police scored a fourth with six minutes to go.

Defeated, but certainly not disgraced, great credit goes to the players who made themselves available for a game they perhaps could have taken something from, if luck had been on their side.

This Saturday the seconds face Lisnagarvey fourths and will be hoping to quickly get back to winning ways.