Down seconds denied Annadale fourths a chance to win the Junior 3 title last weekend.

Their drawn game at Malone Park means Annadale will have to wait until their title rivals, Portadown seconds, complete their league programme this Saturday when they face Down seconds.

Last Saturday's Junior 3 tie was switched to Langley Road in Ballynahinch and with the visitors keen to win, they were rocked back on their heels when Down took a two-goal lead through Philip Brown. His double gave his side a great chance to win the game, but Annadale fought back well, scoring their equaliser with just four minutes to go.

Down's point takes their season's tally to 23 and if they can win this weekend, they have an opportunity of finishing in the top four and what a just reward that would be for their efforts.

The home side kept things tight at the back and Annadale found the going tough on the shale surface in the early stages. Stephen Ferguson and James Cunningham worked hard in the middle of the park while Brown and Ashley Gibson caused problems for the Annadale defenders.

Down's opening goal came in the 16th minute when Brown was on hand at the near post to collect a pass from Gibson, who had done all the hard work, to slip the ball into the net. Five minutes later, Brown scored his second.

At the other end, Annadale created their first chance when a free hit driven into the penalty area was deflected towards the 'keeper before flying to safety. But with a two-goal cushion, Down were caught on the break and Annadale pulled a goal back five minutes before the interval. Down created other chances in the first half with Ferguson and Gibson going close and while they also continued to press in the second, it was Annadale who scored with just minutes to go.

This Saturday, the seconds complete their league programme with that game against Portadown and having controversially lost to their opponents earlier in the season, they are out for revenge and two more points in the hope they can claim that top four finish.