Ashley Gibson rescued Down seconds with a late penalty stroke to secure a point for his side last weekend.

The Malone Park outfit was hoping for a win against the side bottom-of-the-table in Junior 4, but despite creating a host of chances, had to be content with a point.

In fact it was the visitors who started brightly, forcing Down 'keeper, Mark Johnston, to make two smart saves at his near post to keep his side in the game.

At the other end, Ashley Gibson and Mark Elliott were causing the police defence all sorts of problems, but they couldn't find the back of the net.

In the middle of the park, Colin Gibson again displayed why he was crowned the seconds' player of the year with another typical passionate performance, full of commitment and energy.

Gibson has been a major influence in the side this season and his experience has proved invaluable to the younger players around him.

Meanwhile, brother Ashley created his first chance of the game from a short corner when he tested the 'keeper with a rasping shot which crashed against the wrong part of the side board.

The PSNI did not play like a side propping up the table and created a number of chances, taking the lead very much against the run of play.

But Down are a tough nut to crack on the shale surface and they kept plugging away, hoping the vital break would come.

Willie Price kept things tight at the back, while Trevor McClurg provided much-needed support for Colin Gibson in the midfield alongside Philip Brown.

In the closing stages, Down were rightly awarded a penalty stroke when a goal-bound shot struck a police defender.

Up stepped Ashley Gibson and he kept his never to out-wit the 'keeper and tuck the ball away for a deserved share of the spoils.

This weekend it's the Ulster Junior Shield final against Cookstown fourths and everyone at the club wishes the seconds the best of good fortune.

Here's hoping skipper Johnny Lennon can get his hands on the famous trophy to bring it back to Malone Park for the third time in 12 years.