As comebacks go, this was probably one of the greatest ever.

Ten man Down were 2-0 behind with just under eight minutes to go in this Irish Trophy game in Limerick when they produced a stunning finale which left the Munster players and their supporters shell-shocked.

A host of Irish Trophy games were postponed last weekend over concerns that plummeting temperatures south of the border would freeze many pitches, not allowing games to go ahead.

Given the number of teams heading south, the Irish Hockey Association took the decision to call off all cup ties. The decision was taken on Friday afternoon, but a number of Down players had already left when the announcement was made.

Officials from the Munster Branch contacted their counterparts at the Irish Hockey Association and the game was allowed to go-ahead.

Down's preparations for the big game were meticulous! The players got to bed at 4am after downing a few soft drinks and while there were a few sore heads the following morning, the players produced an inspired performance.

Chief among them was Sinclair White. The big midfielder took over in goal in place of the injured Mark Johnston and produced a brilliant performance, denying the Limerick forwards on a number of occasions.

Down also proved yet again that playing with 10 men can inspire teams and having booked their place in the next round, they will be keeping their fingers crossed they aren't faced with another long journey.

Last Saturday, the freezing temperatures didn't materialise and the players were delighted the game went ahead and they had a chance to do themselves and their club proud.

Chris Taylor should have fired Down into an early lead but, with the goal at his mercy, he drilled his shot past the post when it would have been easier to score. Paul Tate and Mark Elliott were also causing problems, but it was the home side which took the lead in the 16th minute following a well-worked short corner which White could do nothing about.

At the other end, Taylor again went close and while Down tried to get back on level terms before the break, it was the home side which held the advantage.

Limerick went 2-0 ahead within 10 minutes of the restart and they should have doubled their advantage, but White was playing like a man possessed, flinging himself across goal and diving at players feet like he was born to do it.

With eight minutes to go and Down looking dead and buried, they produced a comeback that will be talked about for many years to come.

Jareth McCready scored with a crisp shot after some terrific build-up play involving Tate and Taylor and the visitors could see the panic in the eyes of their opponents.

With five minutes to go, Down drew level following a short corner. Tate's push out found Taylor and his goal-bound shot was cleverly deflected past the 'keeper by Mark Elliott, goalscorer extraordinaire.

With two minutes to go and the prospect of extra time and possibly penalty strokes looming large, Down produced the sucker punch to floor their opponents.

The goal came after a great run by the inspirational Richard Owens who picked out Taylor. He in turn fed Jareth McCready whose cross fell kindly for than man Elliott to score.

When the ball hit the back of the net the cheers of the visitors were in stark contrast to the mood of the home players and their supporters who could not believe what had happened.

Down were in dreamland and the celebrations could well and truly begin and did by all accounts into the wee small hours. This weekend they face Omagh at home and the players know there's no room for complacency. The game completes their 2008 programme before the big one in January when they face title rivals, PSNI.