Down made easy work of Foyle last weekend who were making their first appearance at Malone Park since entering Senior Two four years ago.

The locals had too much for the visitors who were forced to make the long trek to Downpatrick with a weakened side, but the Down players went about their work in a professional manner and recorded an easy victory.

The home side was always going to win this one, the only issue was how many goals they would scored against the side bottom of the table.

Down took the lead in the second minute when Mark Elliott's shot was saved by the 'keeper, but the rebound fell to James Erskine of all people who had moved up from centre-back to score his first goal of the season.

Five minutes later Elliott teed up Mark Graham and while he had acres of space and time to pick his spot, he somehow missed the target, much to the relief of Foyle's 'keeper.

In fact Down appeared to have too much time and space all over the park as Foyle could not field a full team and instead of concentrating on their normal game, some players fell into the trap of thinking it was too easy.

A superb move involving Gavin Ringland and Jordan Wade created an opening for Sinclair White, but he blasted his shot wide when he really should have hit the target.

The home side made it 2-0 in the ninth minute when star man Elliott was again involved in setting up the goal. He found White who slipped the ball to the unmarked Chris Taylor who rifled the ball home with aplomb.

Three minutes later it was 3-0 with the hard-working Wade involved. He picked out Elliott who scored with ease as the Foyle defence failed to pick him up.

A mazy Graham run down the right a minute later picked out the influential White and the big man made no mistake this time with a powerful finish past the 'keeper. But there was so much more to come.

Down made it 5-0 in the 14th minute when Elliott grabbed his second of the game after he was teed up by White, with the former's shot finding its way through the 'keeper's legs.

The home side made it 6-0 when Graham's persistence was rewarded. He pressed the Foyle sweeper into a mistake, drove forward and picked his spot.

Erskine fired wide after being put through by Philip Brown in the 20th minute and four minutes later it was 7-0 when White scored his second of the game.

Wade started the move which led to the goal, he skipped past his marker, slipped the ball to Taylor who caressed it into White's path and there was only going to be one outcome.

Seven minutes before the break Down scored their eighth goal when Graham beat his marker and cut the ball back to Taylor who finished in fine style.

Foyle came close to making it 8-1 in the closing stages of the half but a forward's shot was saved by the diving Jeremy McCready and the chance was gone.

It was an easy win for the home side in the end, a welcome three points and a good performance. They hope to turn in a similar performance this Saturday when they face Portrush at home.

But it won't be easy as the visitors will be on a high as they hammered title favourites Cliftonville 7-1 last Saturday.