Teenager Clifford Lennon could not have chosen a better time to score his first ever goal in senior hockey.

Making his debut for Down's senior side in last Saturday's Linden Cup tie against Parkview at Jordanstown, Cliff left the home side with a mountain to climb after his brilliant reverse stick effort hauled his side back into the game.

Down were forced to plunge the teenager in at the deep end due to a player shortage, but he didn't let anyone down and even managed to give his experienced marker a crack around the ankles to prove he wasn't overawed by the occasion!

His goal came with 10 minutes remaining and it laid the foundation for a brilliant comeback by the visitors and a wonder goal from midfield dynamo, Chris Taylor, who made it 2-1 with just seconds to go.

Down, who started with a solid looking back four of Willie Price, Gavin Ringland, Aaron Minnis and Chris Lennon were in control, although they struggled to get the ball through to Ashley Gibson.

The return of Paul Neill and Stephen Ferguson added much-needed bite to the middle of the park and with skipper, Jeremy McCready ruffling a few feathers, Down were in the game.

Gibson was presented with a half chance, while Taylor also had two chances to score, one of which came courtesy of a short corner strike which was well saved by the 'keeper.

At the other end, Down's 'keeper palmed away a trade mark Paul Harvey short corner flick and from there on the Parkview player decided to drive all his short corners, every one which was cleared by the Down defence.

Price's composure added stability to the visitor's defence, although he was fouled in the build-up to Parkview's opener 10 minutes before the interval.

Down failed to clear their lines and gave away a needless line ball which was drilled across to Colin James whose shot crept in to the corner of the net and with seconds to go before the interval, Down's keeper made a double save at his near post.

After the break, Parkview tried up up the pace to increase their advantage, but Down got more into the game, with Ferguson, Taylor and Neill particularly prominent. Parkview's 'keeper denied Taylor from another short corner and two great crosses by Neill just failed to pick out Gibson and Cliff Lennon at the back post.

With 10 minutes to go, Parkview were made to pay for coasting in the comfort zone when Lennon popped up to score his first senior goal at the near post following a cross from Taylor. The youngster kept his head despite the close attentions of two Parkview defenders to score with a great reverse stick shot.

Parkview's inability to convert a number of second half penalty corners came back to haunt them in the dying seconds of the game.

Taylor picked the ball up just inside his own half and scampered away down the right flank. Two Parkview defenders couldn't get hear him and when he drove into the circle it looked as though he was going to go too wide. But he was in total control and unleashed the perfect reverse stick shot which deceived the diving 'keeper.

It was a great comeback by the visitors and they will be hoping for the same spirited performance against East Antrim at Malone Park this weekend.