It’s a funny old game.

How many times has it been said and how many times does it aptly describe an afternoon when just nothing goes your way?

Down created enough goalscoring opportunities against Omagh to win three or four games, but couldn't find the back of the net. Their inconsistency in front of goal has been their Achilles heel this season and they couldn't even have bought a goal last weekend.

On a pitch that looked more like Tyrella beach than one of the Province's latest synthetic surfaces, Down dominated a first half which could have seen them score an incredible 10 goals.

But the performance of Omagh 'keeper, Bobbie Hawkes, and a combination of poor finishing, cost Down dear during a game they should have taken all three points. As a contest, the game should have been over at the interval.

Down were so much on top during the opening 35 minutes that they were able to play with just three men at the back. Raymond McClurg, Down's Mr. Reliable, was again outstanding, covering every inch of the pitch, defending and attacking when the need arose.

Chris Taylor was a thorn in the Omagh defence all afternoon and was denied a blatant penalty stroke midway through the half. He waltzed his way past four defenders and as he was about to pull the trigger, he was deliberately stick-tackled. Incredibly, the umpire awarded a short corner.

At the other end, Omagh could only manage three shots on goal in the opening period, while at the other end, Hawkes was in the firing line. The Junior Ulster squad member denied Taylor, Ashley Gibson, James Cunningham and Down skipper, Jeremy McCready.

No matter what Down threw at the Omagh 'keeper, he had a response every time and left the visitors frustrated at the break.

After the interval, Omagh introduced a number of substitutes who injected a bit more life into them, but Down still struggled in front of goal.

Alasdair Duff, Willie Price and Aaron Minnis were always in control at the back and Down's 'keeper was a virtual spectator throughout the game.

Cunningham made his debut for the senior side and when he swapped places with Stephen Ferguson, both players saw more of the ball.

The visitors fell into the trap of arguing with the home official and not concentrating on their hockey and while both Gavin Ringland and Paul Neill were both missing, they still should have scored a bagful.

Down's 'keeper blotted his copy book in the closing stages when he needlessly conceded a penalty stroke, but he made up for the error, diving to his right to divert a goal-bound effort away with his stick.

Down created chances to win the game in the closing stages but Omagh, or should that be Hawkes, refused to throw in the towel. For Down it was two points lost, rather than one gained and they will need to be sharper in front of goal when they face Larne in two weeks' time. This Saturday, Down have the afternoon off.