There’ll be no Irish Hockey Trophy glory for Down this season.

The locals were dumped out of the competition last weekend following an eight-goal thriller against Suttonians in Dublin and have been left to focus on their fight for Senior One survival.

The locals were hampered by the fact that three players got lost on the way to ground with Adam McKee, David Ferris and Chris Ferguson arriving for the second half.

Both sides were unhappy with a number of umpiring decisions which they felt didn't go there respective ways during the cup tie which produced an incredible eight goals during 70 action-packed minutes. Six Down players were yellow carded while three Suttonians players were also sin-binned during the tie.

The visitors, despite having to start with the missing trio of players, started well and should have taken the lead after 45 seconds. Sinclair White had the ball in the penalty area and opted to shoot when the wiser option probably would have been to slip the ball to the unmarked Chris Taylor.

Seconds later the ball was in the back of the net at the other end after Alasdair Duff uncharacteristically lost possession and the ball was hammered past Robert Hagan.

A minute later the Dublin side led 2-0 after another defensive howler, but the locals gave themselves a great boost in the fourth minute when they made it 2-1.

Skipper Jeremy McCready, who was forced to start despite nursing several cracked ribs, slipped the ball to Stephen Ferguson who worked it back to White who produced a sublime finish.

He side-stepped a defender, drew the 'keeper before drilling the ball into the net for a brilliant goal which drew applause from the home fans.
 Back came Suttonians in the 10th minute when they scored to make it 3-1 but Down should have been on level terms within five minutes with both Chris Lennon and Chris Taylor making it easy for the 'keeper with their respective shots. The visitors then did score to make it 3-2 from their well rehearsed short corner routine.

The ball was worked to White and with the defenders expecting him to shoot he slipped the ball to Paul Tate who swept it into the net to leave just a single goal between the sides.

Suttonians scored two early goals in the second half to lead 5-2 before White pulled things back to 5-3 when he scored with a bullet strike from a short corner.

With players from both sides being sin-binned more space inevitably opened up and the home side booked its place in the next round, scoring three more goals without reply.

Next for Down it's back-to-back games against Civil Service and while no one expects them to get anything from these they have nothing to lose.